“I don’t like the way he looks at me.”A woman surrendered her 4-month old Pit Bull puppy to a shelter because she felt uncomfortable with the way he was staring at her. He had never growled, bitten, or otherwise shown any signs of aggression.
“He sheds too much.”
When a Golden Retriever mix was surendered due to his excessive shedding, shelter workers found that he was covered in scars and nicks from being constantly shaved. The dog was, as a result, very frightened of clippers and feared being groomed.

“She keeps peeing in the house and not on the puppy pads.”
“He won’t stay out of the trash.”
“Her hair keeps getting knotted and I can’t afford to go to the groomer every week.”
“He’s sick and I can’t afford to go to the vet.”A sick little Lab-mix was surrendered to the shelter where he was treated and quickly recovered. His treatment would have been an inexpensive veterinary visit and a round of antibiotics, many of which are filled for free at certain pharmacies. His owner had never bothered to even make a phone call and did not have a primary veterinarian. It’s not known whether he’d ever received any vaccinations.
“Now that he’s not a puppy, he’s not as cute.”
“My new boyfriend doesn’t like him.”
Wonder if the new boyfriend is as loyal, loving, and committed to her as her dog was before she abandoned him.
“I don’t want a gay dog.”
A man surrendered his Bulldog mix because, as he claimed, the dog was gay and wouldn’t stop humping other male dogs. Upon surrender, he requested the dog be euthanized.
“The dog doesn’t match the new couch.”
A family bought a new couch for their home and then dumped their dog because the fur she was shedding stood out too much against the color of the couch
‘I won a free holiday and I couldn’t take my dogs with me.’
‘I’m a vegetarian but he always wanted to eat meat.’ ‘
I got him as a secret Santa present.’
She was too friendly and wanted to greet every dog and human we met on a walk.’
‘He was panting too much.’
‘He didn’t like it when we played dress up.’
‘She sleeps in her own bed all night – I thought she would want to sleep in my bed.’
When a senior dog was left at a shelter, his previous owners explained that the dog was too old and too slow. They wanted to trade him in for a newer, younger model.
‘She wags her tail far too much.
‘Now he has lost weight he is too energetic.’
‘If I’d known anything about beagles, I wouldn’t have got one I had to spend an hour a day hoovering as he shed so much hair.
‘The dog is always staring at me – even when I am eating.’
No matter what the reaso for wanting to get rid of your dog it is never ok to dump it where a domesticated animal has to now try and learn to survive on it's own.



No comments:
Post a Comment