Monday, January 9, 2012

Making Time For Others.......

Sometimes I feel like I am always the person making the effort.

When I lived away from "old" friends and family I always was the one who made the effort to come and visit. This is not to say that no one ever made the effort to come see me, but the majority of the time the responsibility of maintain the relationship seemed to be on my shoulders.

Now that I have moved back home it still seems like I am the person making the effort.  I always have to be the one going to other people's houses, I get texts or calls saying "let's do something" but then "something" never seems to materialize. I get calls when it's convenient for the other person but it feels like in between those times (sometimes months on end) no one seems to be interested in how I am doing.

Once I had a person who hadn't contacted me in months call and want me to drop what I was doing that day to come spend the day with them.  When I told this person they should have given me some notice because I had things I had to accomplish that particular day they said to me, "well you don't do anything, you can do that later and come with me now". I was so offended by this comment. How does this person know what I do? I run my own business, I volunteer, at the time I was working on my rent house and my own home and I do have other people in my life.  What makes this person think I should drop everything I am doing and run to them, just because they are ready to spend time with me? Where were they the 6 months prior to this call?

I guess it just bothers me that I don't seem to be important to many of the people in my life. Sometimes it feels like people in my life truly do not realize how their actions effect the person on the receiving end.

No comments:

Post a Comment