Monday, August 8, 2011


Everywhere we look we are bombarded by images and media trying to convince us that we are supposed to be part of a couple. When we aren’t part of a couple we often feel left out of life.  My question is, “Who says we have to be part of a couple?”  Is it because we are told from the beginning of our lives to grow up, get married, and have kids that we think we have to be part of a couple?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
If this is true then why are so many relationships ending in divorce? Why are so many of our friends and loved ones on their 2nd, 3rd, and even sometimes 5th marriages? Why do relationships grow stale and become unsatisfying? Why do so many of us women tend to lose the person we were before we were married? Why do so many of us stop growing when we are in relationship?                                                                                                                                                            

Personally I have even seen people stay in relationships just because they have a fear of being alone.



Images of couples in the media to restaurants, parties, even vacation destinations, society is always pushing us to find a partner and pair off in twos.
                                                                    




Many of us experience periods in our lives where we do not have a partner. These times may be time we need to heal from a broken heart, discover ourselves, or experience life on our own.                                                                                                                                              

Being single is and should be a positive option for us. Society should encourage women to be single and discover who they are and what they want before becoming wives and mothers.

I have been single for over 5 years. Prior to my marriage I was single and lived alone for 9 years. This doesn’t mean I didn’t date or even have boyfriends from time to time but the focus always remained on me developing a sense of self.  If friends are not available for an adventure or outing, I go to a movie, restaurant, even on vacations and road trips alone without feeling weird or awkward.   
 
                                                                                     

Taking a solo vacation, loading up my camera, books, music along with a swimsuit and shorts is often more enjoyable than any trips I have taken with friends or family. On a solo trip there is no one to argue on which road to take, when to stop and rest, where to stop and eat, what time to leave, fly or drive, etc. etc. etc.  I also think I meet some of the most interesting people along the way (good or bad) because I am single. It seems people are less fearful of approaching a single person than a couple.  If I truly want company along the way it is usually not hard to find.


While being single,  I have grown in ways that would not have been possible had I remained married and I believe will only add to my next relationship when the time comes but until then I intend to enjoy my single life!
                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment