Last week my sister called to let me know that she had found a lump in her breast and it was malignant. Now, in 2013 many people wouldn't consider this to be necessarily terrible news but for me it brings up all kinds of memories from watching my mother slowly die when I was a little girl.
The truth of the matter is my sister and I have never really been close. We weren't raised together and were often kept apart as kids. As adults the relationship hasn't improved much even though I often wish we were closer but I don't think being close is really on her priority list. I always felt like some day something would happen and she would need me but now that the day is here. I doubt if this will change things between us at all which makes me sad.
I offered to go to her consultation appointment with her and she said, "If you want to you can. The more people there to hear what the doctor says, the better." Not exactly the response I wanted to hear but I decided to go none the less.
The first stop on her journey. The doctors findings weren't too bad. She is grade 1; stage 1. This means we have caught it really early. She had decided to have a bilateral mastectomy with reconstructive surgery and there is a chance she won't need chemo or radiation but we won't know that for sure until the lymph nodes are biopsied. The surgery will be next Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment