Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Cementing Obedience Skills and progressing into Service Dog training & Search and Rescue Training


When you first find a candidate for service dog training the amount of work can sometimes feels overwhelming. Every SD's end result may differ but there are several basic skills that must be mastered. Bello has been with me for 13 (14 weeks on Saturday January 28th). In these short 13 weeks we spent the first 6 weeks in basic obedience class where we introduce Bello to the basic obedience skills he must possess. Sit, stay, lay down, heel, and come.  Bello quickly leaned these skills and made me proud. We have spent the 2nd 6 weeks working on heeling (as Bello likes to explore with his nose however there will be times when we are out and about in public places that I will need him to pay attention to me and heel).  

During the last 6 weeks many of Bello's bad habits and poor previous training have shown themselves and we have been working to continue retraining the basic obedience so that eventually one day these skills will be second nature to Bello and I won't even have to give him the commands any longer. This cementing of obedience skills also allows great opportunity for Bello to learn his ques off my body language. For example when walking he has learned to stop next to me when I stop  and wait for the motion of me to begin to walk before he begins walking. He has learned that there may be occasions where I might run into a person and stop and talk and that he needs to sit either next to me or behind me; patiently while I visit. 

The past 6 weeks have also allowed us opportunity to begin working on distraction training. Being able to resist distractions such as people walking by, other dogs approaching, loud cars going past, people appearing around corners suddenly, etc. will be a behavior that Bello must master in order to have public access.  During the past 6 weeks I have realized that when we are in businesses he seems to understand that he is supposed to be on his best behavior and performs so. However, when we are out on the streets seems to be when distractions are an issue for him.  I know though that with time and work Bello will master every skill I introduce him to.  

During the past 2 weeks we have also started Bello's introduction to Search and Rescue training.(SAR)   We have been meeting with retired police officer (31 years service) who handled police dogs and trained working dogs for the military; Don Carmack. Each Sunday we have met a group of dogs who are also new to SAR training.  We have started off by continuing with cementing their obedience skills, have had the dogs find their toys behind a tree and done some distraction work.  Last Sunday the instructor told me that he thought if we could cement Bello's basic obedience he would make a great SAR dog! It's always nice to hear positive feedback because there are days that I get so frustrated and feel like Bello is not getting it but then we receive a compliment or he has a break through and I am so proud of him! 

There's so much on a daily basis going on and everything is a training opportunity. Loading and unloading from the truck, not rushing out the door when we leave or arrive home, sitting quietly when people knock at the door, opening cabinets and refrigerator, turning off and on lights, bringing objects to me (instead of 3-5ft away from me), putting objects where they belong, finding objects, and the list goes on and on......but I know we will accomplish it together and in the mean time all the work allows for bonding  between Bello and I! 



No comments:

Post a Comment