Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Building Trust and Cementing Obedience Skills

It is very important to remain calm and patient when working with Bello. I have to remember that he is not NaNook (with me for 9 yrs) or NaKoda (with me for 13 yrs).  I also have to be patient because we are un doing Bello's poor training that took place during the first 3 yrs of his life before me.

Reminding myself that Bello was owner surrendered when he was a little over 2 years old and then lived at a shelter until Oct 2016 when I adopted him helps me to remember that he has a very good reason to be anxious and untrusting. He has no idea if he is going to live with me for awhile and then go somewhere else or if he is finally has a home.  I have no idea how the humans before me treated him.

Bello's initial life experience has left him guarded and anxious so building our bond and trust is essential.Sometimes when Bello and I are working I watch him watching me to see how I'm going to react and I think "he's waiting to see if I'm going to be another human that disappoints him".  I can relate as my first interactions (and many throughout life) weren't ones that built trust in mankind.  I know it's just going to take time of being patient, calm and consistent with him to build trust but we will get there.  By reassuring Bello through actions that he will be loved, played with always fed and watered and always have a home with me.

On top of all the training we are engaging in most importantly Bello ad I are building a bond.  In order for Bello to take care of me as my SD we must have a strong bond.  One of the  best ways for us to continue to build our bond is through daily exercise.  Exercise is a win- win for both Bello and I.  Bello and I take walks twice daily (weather permitting) and once a month we travel to a new location for hikes and weekend get aways.  Bello and I explore the world together and have to rely on one another to keep each other safe.  These adventures also help in socializing Bello to new experiences, place, sounds and people.

Of course our daily exercise and monthly adventures always lead to the next best way to bond...play! I have learned that Bello's favorite game is catch. He will catch a ball all day long if I will throw it. Now, for our SAR training work he just has to learn to brinng it to me, instead of just near me.  We also do agility hurdles and hoops and tunnels, tug of war and hide and go seek! Of course while fun the hide and go seek and hiding toys will come in handy during the next stages of our SAR training I am told.

All these games and play sessions will help Bello associate me with fun, good experiences and lots of reward and affection helping us learn to trust on another while cementing obedience work and bonding  As our trust has been growing I have also been socializing Bello and introducing him to my world.  Through socializing at the parks and around town I have been able to run and play with.  Socializing also takes us out and about around town exposing Bello to all kinds of noises and motions and people.  This helps him to work on his manners and desensitize him to distractions.  By exposing Bello to my world and showing him we are safe and that I will keep him safe it helps build our bond and trust.

Also, important in building our bond is our down time.  Not every moment has to be balls to the wall energy.  Sometimes Bello and I just sit on the couch and snuggle and pet while reading or watching tv. Sometimes we sit and listen to music and take a nap together.  By having this quiet down time I get to give Bello love and affection showing him I am worthy of his trust and love


No comments:

Post a Comment