Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Bello's Public Behavior


You would think that public behavior is just common sense, right? According to the behaviors I have observed from dog owners and their dogs common sense or maybe it's just common courtesy doesn't exist. A SD must be well house trained, execute a reasonable heel, be non aggressive to people and other dogs/animals, and stay focused on their job. 

Over the last month or so Bello and I have been working on his public access training at several of the "Pet Friendly" businesses in our local community such as Home Depot, AgMart, Tractor Supply and have even visited a local grocery store in the evening hours, Stanley Dodge, our insurance office and my Dr's office, Bello has been practicing moving around the businesses without smelling objects on the shelves, sniffing people, moving around isles with objects in our path, walking by carts, not reacting to people who approach us and greeting when given permission. I am happy to announce that Bello is doing wonderful! 
The hardest part of the training is other people. People often try to approach and pet him without permission which interferes with the work we are doing and can obstruct training. Also, another irritating occurrence is people who get in Bello's face. I will never understand why people think it is ok to get down in a strange dog's face. When talking to them about doing this I always equate to "would it be ok if I walked up to you and got within an inch of your face and kissed you?" of course they all say "No!" and I tell them "you just did that exact same thing to my dog and he doesn't like it either!"!!! Just because you know dogs that let you do it does not mean all dogs enjoy this behavior, especially from strangers! 

Now, that Bello has a good understanding of my expectations in public situations we will be moving towards businesses such as restaurants, libraries, offices with waiting rooms, etc. where Bello will be learning to sit at my feet or under my chair. Of course while we are working on him settling into a calm seated/lay down position at my feet or under my chair we will continue to work on his distraction work, and heeling as well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment