Wednesday, May 10, 2017

If it wasn't for Bello

Most people do not have any idea how many different types of Service Dogs (SD) there are.  Many people assume you're blind if you have a service dog because seeing eye dogs are the only SDs they have ever heard of.  There are many types of service dogs even ones for disabilities that are "invisible" because as many people do not know....not all disabilities can be seen.

Types of Service Dogs:

  • Guide or seeing eye dogs

  • Hearing dogs
  • Mobility Dog
  • Diabetic Alert Dog
  • Seizure Alert Dog
  • Seizure Response Dog
  • Psychiatric Service Dog
  • Autism Dog
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Dog
  • Allergy Detections Dog
SDs are much more than the family pet.  SDs are working dogs that have specific jobs to help aid their handlers mitigate their disability. These tasks that a SD performs can differ greatly according to their handlers needs. A task can be anything from helping with balance, bringing medications to handler in time of emergency, to finding help during a medical emergency.  

Psychiatric SDs perform tasks to help mitigate their handlers illness and protect them from harm.  Most psychiatric SDs (often call ptsd sds) perform tasks that aid their handlers with mental illness that effect their day to day lives.  
  • bring medications in time of anxiety attack
  • bring water to take medications 
  • bring phone to contact therapist or other support network member during an anxiety attack
  • bringing help in crisis
  • perform stimulation to interrupt an anxiety attack such as nudging hands, licking hands, arms, face, anything to get attention focused on them
  • provide pressure against chest or abdomen during a panic attack

Many people often confuse an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) with a psychiatric service dog.  An ESA simply provides a therapeutic presence to their owner and has no specialized training nor are they permitted public access. Psychiatric Service Dogs are provided with public access. 

Bello (and all my previous SDs NaNook & NaKoda) are psychiatric SDs.  There are often days I don't believe I would get out of bed or do anything if it wasn't for them.  During July 2016 - Oct 2016 I realized just how much NaNook and NaKoda had previously helped me after she passed.  Just the act of having to feed and exercise my dogs often is what got me out of bed and out of my house.  When NaKoda passed in July I noticed I was reverting back to not leaving the house and avoiding situations that increased my anxiety and caused panic attacks.  


Just the act of driving 3 hours to the city to even pick a new candidate for training took everything I had without NaKoda to travel with me but thank God I made it and found Bello! Bello's need for high levels of daily exercise alone keeps me active and gets me outside the house at least twice a day.  His desire to be with me helps his training as he goes everywhere with me not just because of my need for him in crowded stores, strange places, or places at night where I might be alone. Just the act of being together all the time helps create a stronger bond and with me talking to him he learns my body language to often predict what I might need in a given situation. One of the ultimate goals of a service dog is for them to learn to anticipate your needs and implement their actions/decisions on their own.  

Just yesterday while in a grocery store during a heavy traffic time Bello began nudging my hand when we approached an isle that was particularly crowded. The touch task is one Bello and I have been working on the past few weeks and this helps me to focus on him rather than the fact that I need something on a crowded isle.  Bello has also begun placing himself between me and crowds of people this is a task that he has taken on himself. It makes me more comfortable not to be in reach of strangers.  

If it wasn't for Bello and his ability to learn these things quickly and show signs of beginning to anticipate my needs I don't believe my life would be as active and rewarding as it is today.  This is one of the main reasons why I reward Bello every chance I get! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment