Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My first week in Brownwood

My first week back in Brownwood was hectic of course from trying to keep work flowing, school flowing, setting up the new house and of course it was Karen's birthday weekend!

Even with all the added stresses of a move, work, and school all things just seem to bother me less. I am so glad to be back home where my family and friends are. I have already reconnected with 2 "old" friends and that has been one of the best parts.

I spent the first weekend back home at Karen's with her and Johnny and my niece Railey, just playing! Railey and I wondered down the road and in the pastures so she could pick a bucket of wildflowers for Granny!

The only thing that did not go so smoothly happened on Monday of the first week. Of course it would happen on Monday would Monday be a Monday without some sort of crisis?  I received a phone call from my old neighbor in Stephenville.  The renter called me after signing the lease and giving me the deposit and first months rent and told me her husband had left her and that she would not be able to afford the house alone. Great! Well, the deposit of course was non refundable - thank goodness because I had canceled 5 appointments to show the house after she signed the lease and canceled the ad in the newspaper.  Of course she wanted to know why she couldn't have all her money back and she was crying on the phone. I explained to her why it wasn't refundable. I told her I would refund the 1st months rent.  We set up a time to meet.  Within a few minutes her mother called me. Her mother proceeded to yell and scream on the phone until I informed her that my agreement was not with her and I would not discuss the matter with her, especially since she was being so belligerent on the phone.  A few minutes later her father called me. I informed him of the law. Told him where he could look to read the law for himself and informed him I would not be discussing the matter any further with anyone who had not signed the legally binding contract.

The day I set up to meet the renter I went to the house first to inspect. After all she had the keys to the property and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong before I refunded anything to her.  I walked in the house and was amazed. She had started repainting the kitchen in the house, had taken all the curtains in the house down and they were in a pile in the middle of the kitchen floor, there was some kind of powder sprinkled all over the floors (which confused me because there is no carpet in the house).   I called her immediately and asked her why she had left the house in such condition. She stated she had started to move in when her husband let her know he was leaving her. I asked her if she thought it was appropriate to ask for her deposit back after breaking the legal agreement with me, have her mother call and scream at me on the phone, then have her father call me again and leave the house in the condition she was leaving it.  She had no response. I think she got my point.  I met with her and got the keys back.

I returned home and put another ad in the paper to find another tenant.  I had about 15 calls over the next few days and I scheduled the viewings all for the following Saturday at the exact same time. about 10 of those callers showed up. It was crazy! I ended up getting a couple of applications. One checked out perfectly.  I met with them the following week to sign the lease and give them the keys.  I came home relieved.  2 days later my Stephenville neighbor called me telling me the people had come to his house that morning and gave him the keys.  They stated their mother had fallen in the kitchen on a throw rug and they decided they couldn't have her there. (Why not remove the throw rug?) Oh well. Another deposit that was mine.  Thank goodness the ad was still running.

I said a little prayer to God to send me the perfect tenant who was going take care of the house and stay there for a long period of time. About 5 minutes later my phone rang. I didn't want to answer it right at that moment so I let it go to voicemail.. I retrieved the voicemail and to my surprise it was an acquaintance that had purchased one of NaKoda and NaNook's puppies from me approximately 2 years before who I had stayed in touch with.  They were shocked to here my voicemail too! I returned her call immediately! We completed the paperwork via email and she went to the bank and deposited the funds for me. I had her pick the keys up from the neighbor as soon as the funds had cleared and she's been there for the last 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment