Monday, October 24, 2011

 A couple of weekends ago, while on a trip I was hanging out catching some rays and a woman (Peggy) struck up a conversation with me.
.  
                                             

Peggy began by asking me where my husband was. I of course told her I hadn't had a husband since July 2005. She said she was sorry and asked if I had a boyfriend. I told her no of course and that she shouldn't feel sorry I was happy I had lost the husband and enjoyed life anyway! I wondered why was this woman so interested in my love life?  As she continued on asking me questions, I start ted to feel uneasy about the line of questioning as if there was nothing else in life besides having a man.  

Peggy continued to talk about her husband (Tim) & how they had been married for 40 years. Throughout her 40 year marriage her husband, Tim had engaged in several affairs, often with her friends or friends wives or girlfriends.                                   

In the long run this behavior cost her all of her friends and the once social couple now never leaves the house or has people over like they once did - just to ensure Tim doesn't have the opportunity to cheat on her but that doesn't stop her distrust of him - she now wonders if he carries on with people from work.  Peggy went on to tell me how jealous and insecure she is and how she worries if they go out to eat, is Tim looking at the waitresses, so they do not go out to eat anymore. She worries if her husband is mowing their lawn, is he checking out their neighbor and so on and so on.
  I couldn't imagine being in a relationship that was filled with nothing but distrust, anger and jealousy. Peggy went on to tell me she and her husband never had sex, didn't go on dates, didn't even talk to one another any more. Peggy said when Tim gets home from work in the evenings they have dinner, he showers, they watch a little tv and then go to bed and wake up and do it all over again.

  To me this has to be a horrible existence and would not be worth it to me. I couldn't imagine having someone in such an important role in my life that I couldn't trust and I could not imagine being so miserable in a relationship and staying in the unhappy relationship for 40 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment