A few years ago I made a decision in my life. I wanted to stop saying things to people we all say to the people we "care" about in our lives and start doing those things. "call me and we will get together", "we need to hang out", "I'll call you". All those things we have all said, knowing we would never follow through.
It's funny though how we can change our lives to show the people important to us they are truly important and loved but we can't expect others to do the same because let's face it, our ego is what demands that we be important to others. Our ego is what is offended or hurt when we feel ignored by the ones we love. Our ego does not matter to anyone but us.
I always think about something my chosen grandmother said to me before she passed, she told me she wished she had spent more time with her children and family and less time worrying if the floors were clean. Today I can proudly say that my floors may be dirty but I make time for friends and chosen family, often even when they make no time for me but how long do we go on making time for others who don't make time for us?
Recently, I realized that several people in my life believe that making time for them should revolve around their schedules and not mine. I guess they think the world revolves around their schedule.
Someone recently said to me, "well you don't do anything" and I have to admit that my ego flared up and was immediately offended by this statement. How would they know what I do? They are never around. They don't call me, text me, email me and ask me about my days, or my business or anything else going on in my life. Weeks even months go by without contact from them. They have no idea how much time I spend working to grow my business or working on my homes, volunteering or spending time with friends or my chosen family. They don't know if I am dating anyone or if I am traveling. I have left the state of Texas for leisure purposes and they never even knew I was gone, I guess. I have traveled within the state several times throughout the last year alone. I guess I could pretty much fall off the face of the earth and they wouldn't realize it for probably months...sad to say. I guess because I don't post my every action on facebook they think I don't do anything but boy do I have news for them!
The really sad thing, I used to tell this person when I was going somewhere, or was dealing with something but one day I realized the relationship was only what it was because I worked so hard and put forth so much effort. Now, if you were to ask this person if they put forth effort they would say it was all them, but I would have to say that is not my perception. I decided to stop working so hard and see if they reciprocate and I have to admit my feelings have been very hurt because they haven't.
It does hurt though. It makes me feel unimportant at times. It seems everyone is so busy with their jobs and their families and I always seem to be the one going to visit friends or family. I always seem to be the one moving things around in my schedule to make time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment