Monday, July 23, 2012

What was the best day of your life?

I was flipping through a magazine the other day and I read the question, "what was the best day of your life?" and I realized I did not have an answer for this question. This made me a little sad.

I could say it was the day I graduated high school because after being emancipated at 15 it was a struggle to work, pay the bills, take care of myself while keeping a roof over my head but I would be lying because it was more of a relief to be done with school than the best day of my life.

I could say it was the day I got married but now that I am divorced it wouldn't make sense (and for me personally would be a little sad; looking back) for that to have been the best day of my life.

 I could say it was day I graduated with my undergraduate degree or my graduate degree but while it was a wonderful achievement it was just another day in my life. No one even acknowledged I had completed my degrees much less fly to Arizona to attend my commencement ceremonies.

I could say it was the day I bought any of the properties I owned but those were all just days I was glad the process had come to an end.

While I have many days that were spent doing things I enjoy, most of what could have been called "the best days of my life" have been tainted by a bad experience or a sense of loneliness.

Most of my days are spent alone with my animals whether they be days spent home or traveling without a witness to my life or someone to share my days with there always seems to be a little cloud of darkness hovering just past the horizon. This darkness hovering just past the horizon seems to be an ever present reminder that I am alone unless someone needs something from me and that is usually the only time I hear from people.

No comments:

Post a Comment