After being single for a while and having several dates that I chose not to continue seeing I was giving thought to a few things. No one courts anymore. It’s sad because I think that’s so important in getting to know someone. Instead it seems like everyone is in a hurry to meet someone and jump right in head first. Below though are a few things I read or are my own thoughts that I thought were excellent in helping me weed out the duds and maybe hopefully one day find someone to share my life with......
No one likes a stalker. You may be falling hard, but give me room to breathe: no bombarding me with phone calls, no “surprise” visits and no requests for dates every day of the week. Remember I had a life before I met you (as you did too) and it’s important to be able to spend time with friends and families and taking care of our responsibilities without feeling pressured to spend every free moment with someone. This, too, is one of the most important timeless dating rules. Like the old showbiz cliche says: Always leave them wanting more.
Take the time to make me feel good. In today's dating world, with all the rules, systems and mind games (which are a good way to push me away), the old-fashioned compliment is often overlooked. If I look beautiful, tell me. If I am the funniest girl you've ever dated, let me know. Court me! Send flowers for no reason!
After spending some time with a girl, you'll start to feel comfortable around me... sometimes too comfortable. You won't feel the urge to impress me and let things slide. You should relax around me, but this can go too far. I once had a guy show up to our agreed meeting location in pajama bottoms and a t shirt – not that there’s anything wrong with casual but I felt like he couldn’t even be bothered to dress to meet me.
Don't be the kind of boy who won’t a kiss on the first date, but don't rush things either. Feeling pressured is a sure fire way to push me away. Relationships are organic and develop at their own pace. Working on a timetable, like planning on moving in together after two years, getting engaged after three, and getting married after four just won't turn out well. I like to take things as they come and go with the flow of my life. Wait until things feel right, rather than doing it all when it’s expected. I have never done the things others expect me to do just because they expect me to. And under no circumstances should you tell me you love me in the first month (perhaps one of the most important timeless dating rules). You barely even know me!
I’m not sure there is anything worse than the person who picks up their phone and starts staring at it in the middle of dinner, or at any point while you’re together and having a conversation. I’m not anti-technology here (hello, I work in a virtual office!) but I am saying that there comes a time to turn it off and disconnect and remember what actually matters. People. If you are on your phone with other people the whole time we are on our date; then I don’t feel important and will be on my way!
It used to be principle for people to say: oh, when can I see you? Or, when could I call you? Rather than just assuming they can at any point. But I think that old concept could be applied to our modern world by just assuming that, unless told otherwise, you should ask permission to you know, touch them anywhere, take them out, call them at a certain time, etc.
We show our respect with our time
If you are 5-10 minutes late, I can chalk that up to traffic. However, 10 minutes plus, with no phone call, is simply rude. Incidents like this show me exactly how much respect you have for my time.
Gentlemen offer to pay
This rule will be debated for the next 1000 years and for the next 1000 years, the answer will be the same. If he's a gentleman, he'll offer to pay on the first date (regardless of who asks). If he doesn't, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy but it does mean his chivalry skills are lacking.
Good manners are telling
We should all know that the good manners of saying "please" and "thank you" never ever goes out of style, especially on a date.
The man pursues the woman. While this practice varies from community to community, most groups that favor courtship also favor a more traditional method of wooing. The man initiates the friendship Courtships are always conducted publicly. You will not be invited to my house to “watch a movie”.
Commitment precedes intimacy. During courtship, a couple get to know each other. I want to be pursued. If you are playing games and telling me what you think I want to hear just to be intimate then please move on because I am not the one for you! Not that there’s anything wrong with your choice, but I am in a different place right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment