Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Meet Thomas 1 1/2 yr old male Retriever Nova Scotia Duck Tolling

1 1/2
Hi! My name is Thomas. I am an 1 1/2 year old Retriever, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Mix

The AKC describes my breed as a Medium sized, powerful and compact, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever is the smallest of the retrievers. Developed in the early 19th century to toll, lure, and retrieve waterfowl. The playful action of the Toller retrieving a stick or ball along the shoreline arouses the curiosity of the ducks offshore. This lures them within gunshot range, and then the dog is sent out to retrieve the dead or wounded birds. Their water-repellant double coat is any shade of red, often with white markings.  Highly intelligent, alert and outgoing, the Toller is normally ready for action, desiring a job to do or some kind of activity. He is affectionate and loving with family members and is good with children, showing patience. A natural-looking breed, the Toller does not require much coat maintenance beyond occasional brushing and baths.

A volunteer to me out on a leash into the yard at the shelter the other day and at first I was a little timid about being on the leash and out in the yard.  However, the volunteer quickly noticed I already knew how to sit and stay.  She said I was very smart and that she would keep working with me to find me a forever home.  I really enjoyed the time she spent petting and talking to me because since I am in the shelter I don’t get this kind of attention as often and I need it.  The volunteer said as long as I am in the shelter she will keep working with me to teach me other tricks and commands in order to help me find a forever home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment