Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another day in the journey of my life

In Feb. I was laid off in the most horrible manner possible. After spending the previous two years of my life trying to help people turn around a company their partner had sabotaged, without any notice they walked in my office and laid me off.

I had two things going for me; I had already started the proceedings of returning to school to achieve my Masters degree and I was tired of working for people who did not appreciate my efforts.

So March 10th I started school, filed for unemployment and started sending out resumes to try and find another job! After weeks of receiving rejections saying over qualified I felt very depressed. I experienced difficulty getting motivated to get out of bed, I had no motivation to eat, clean, or do anything else. By the end of the week my sink was full of dishes, my dogs were restless from lack of activity, and I wasn't quite sure what to do. My depression was sneaking up on me in a hurry and I needed to do something quickly!

I had a talk with myself and decided that I needed a plan and a goal to work towards in order to motivate myself! I took inventory of my marketable skills, asked myself what it was that I really wanted to do and I started working on a setting some goals for myself.

1. Opportunity- Online teaching After I receive my Master's degree I will be qualified to teach courses in business. I believe that this would be the perfect career for me because I enjoy teaching, training is a successful area I have accomplished and I will be qualified once I complete my degree!

2. Opportunity - own my own business. What kind of business? Virtual/Personal Assistant. This is something I can do on my own schedule, from my home and allow time for other activities. I have 15 years of experience, education and success!
Now I just need to market myself!

3. Volunteer work - I have already started working with the CarterBlood with blood drives! I also want to work with CASA so I will be attending the next training session they have in my area! I will be able to help children who are in the same situations I was as a child and I can relate and understand. I can give to them what I wished someone had given me.

So, for the past few weeks I have been researching the VA/PA market and creating documents, and processes and trying to draw in clients. I am very scared but also excited. This could make or break me. I would love to bring in enough business that my "mother" could quite the job she's had for 20 years and no longer enjoys and work for me as well! That to me would be the ultimate success! I just need to get my name out there!

It has been a long and busy week for me but I have accomplished alot. I have my business plan, marketing materials, contracts and programs all in place and now I just need to work hard to bring the clients in!

I will be logging off and trying to go to sleep now but my anxiety levels are up so much I am not holding my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment