Sunday, October 25, 2009

Giving Back and Making a Difference

I have spent the last couple of months training for a new volunteer position - victim advocate. While the training material and presentations have caused me to reflect back on the abuse I suffered as a child, teen and young adult, it has also made me realize that I not only survived but that I have become successful in my own life in ways that some victims never experience.

I realize my own worth. I gained confidence. I gained an education and I have continued to grow throughout my life. All of this success has caused me to want to give back and help show others that only they can change their lives. All of my success has caused me to want to draw attention to child abuse, rape, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and domestic violence and bring it out of the shadows of our society and into the spot light so that it can be brought to an end.

Friday Oct. 16th I will be participating in tying purple ribbons at the local court house to help bring awareness to domestic violence.

It's amazing how doing for others can help us to feel better and even heal our own pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment