Friday, October 23, 2009

Surgery with a positive outlook

Karen's surgery was yesterday and it was one of the longest days of my life. I kept thinking back to when my mother was sick and all the suffering and then of course to losing her. That was the most painful event in my life and I did not want to experience that again with Karen. I didn't want Karen to suffer.

Her surgery was scheduled for 7:45am. She arrived at the hospital and was checked in and put in a room. Finally, at 11:30am they rolled her into pre op. Finally, at 1:30pm she went into surgery, after all the delays. Around 3:30pm she was finished. The doctor said she removed the entire cyst, did not find that the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes, so she didn't have to remove any lymph nodes and Karen was wheeled to recovery. We were all so relieved. I was especially relieved because I knew I was not ready to lose her.

Karen went back home to Brownwood and slept. She slept off and on most of today and we spoke around 4:47pm. She was feeling better, her throat was still soar from the tubes that were down her throat, but she was feeling better and she was relieved too.

I told her that if she needed anything all she had to do was call me and I would hop in the truck and be back in Brownwood to help her no matter what. I told her the weekend was supposed to be beautiful and all she needed to do was rest the next couple of days and then enjoy the sunshine!

It's amazing how some people just take one another for granted. Some people expect that they can act however, they want and it will be ok, because that person will always be there, but when you have experienced the loss of a mother you never take loved ones for granted like that again. I was lucky enough to have met a surrogate mother and I know that.

1 comment:

  1. Update to Karen's surgery. She went in for her routine follow up and the pathology reports showed that they did not get all of the cancer cells. Karen will now be starting Chemotherapy

    ReplyDelete