Recently, I was watching a documentary on the National Geographic Channel called Taboo: Strange Love. One topic in this documentary was negotiated infidelity. In a time when some many relationships are unsuccessful this made me think about my own view of relationships and what may work for others. I can't say I agree with particular views but I do find them interesting enough to take a deeper look into and perhaps receive some feedback from readers on what their views might be on the subject as well.
According to Kathy Labriola Counselor/Nurse and her article ARE YOU OPEN TO AN ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE? Have You Considered Non-monogamy?? "...non-monogamy means having the freedom to be sexually and/or emotionally involved with more than one person. An ethical non-monogamous relationship is one that practices open honest communications about the sexual activities and that this type of relationship is made by choice."
It is believed that in previous times in history women's financial reliance upon men enabled men to "get away" with having affairs but the double standard was that women were not allowed to participate in extra marital affairs. However, as women have grown more independent and have demanded equal rights the idea of family values and relationship roles has changed. Women too have began engaging with multiple partners.
While some people are happy in monogamous relationships others seem to flourish in non monogamous relationships as well. Some people in non monogamous relationships engage with multiple partners but only maintain one intimate relationship. Some monogamous relationships engage in outside sexual relationships together while others have individual sexual encounters without their primary intimate partner. Some say being free to engage in sexual activities with multiple partners allows greater growth between the two intimate partners. When in a monogamous relationship if a partner is sexually attracted to an outside person they must struggle to suppress these feelings possibly creating resentment towards their partner, while those who are free to explore these sexual attractions experience an openness and honesty within their intimate primary relationship.
With my history of being in relationships that have not worked out I have started to think about options for relationships, whats out there that I don't have knowledge about, what works and what doesn't.........I am still unsure what I think about this type of relationship but I am curious to hear what your thoughts on the subject are too.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment