I continued on to my destination without returning any of the calls. Upon my arrival I called the one person other than my attorney that knew where I was and discussed the events with him. This man was like a "great uncle" to me. He had been through a similar experience with a past wife when he was younger. We discussed why he stayed and why I was leaving. Even though he was of the generation that did not believe in divorce he understood that sometimes that was the only option and he also understood what I was feeling and that this was not an easy decision for me. He understood that I loved the husband I married but that he had changed and this was not a person I wanted in my life.
A few days after arriving at this location my attorney contacted me to let me know that he had been served with the divorce papers and the restraining order. She stated that it was reported back to her that he was not happy. He was informed what would happen if he violated the orders. My cell phone started blowing up. I eventually turned the phone off because he would not stop calling. I began making arrangements for the division of assets and had a locksmith change the locks on the house and shop. I worked, I attended class online. I pampered myself and my dogs and spent the days riding horses, taking photographs, playing with the dogs and taking in the local culture!
Three weeks later I decided it was time to return home. My soon to be ex husband had left word with my attorney that he didn't want anything (the house, the business, anything that I could have it all and that I was right and deserved better than him). I returned home and fell back into day to day life while waiting for things to be finalized. This did not look like it was going to take long because he wasn't asking for anything. However about a week after I returned home his lawyer started contacting my attorney stating that he had changed his mind. He wanted the house and the business. I informed my attorney that was fine, showed proof of where the money came from for both and stated I wanted to be bought out of both. I also requested that he return the key to my truck which I had purchase prior to our marriage and that he keep the truck I had purchased for the business. When he realized that he would have to buy me out he became livid. He started making threats to the point that his own attorney became worried. He started becoming beligerant and hostile and making rediculous demands such as custody of my dogs. His lawyer laughed. My lawyer informed his attorney of all the proof I had of his illegal actions and informed him that if he did not make this quick and easy I was prepared to bring all of this information out in court. His lawyer advised him to stop his behavior.
A few days went by and we didn't hear anything. Then one night as I was sitting in my bed working on a paper for class I heard a vehicle pull into my drive way. I looked out the window to see who it was because it was so late. I saw him walk around to my truck and get in and drive off. I called the police, informed them of the situation and that he had just stolen my truck. They said they would be on the look out for it but that this was a civil matter and would need to be addressed by the court. I informed them that if I found the truck before they did there were going to be bigger issues. I quickly began contacting every person I knew he knew. I informed them all that the truck had been reported stolen and that if they didn't want the police showing up on their door steps it was in their best interest to not let him on their property in my vehicle and to call and let me know where he was. Eventually, I discovered him at his brother's house in a neighboring town. I went to get in his truck to head there and realized something was wrong. He had taken the battery out of his truck. Bastard!
I contacted a friend who said she would give me a ride. I drove to his brother's house because they definately didn't want the police at their door step since he was involved in the same activity that my soon to be ex was and they kept him there while I got in the truck, started it up and drove off. He was so pissed off. He began calling my cell and the house leaving messages that he was threatening me. I drove to the police department with the copy of the restraining order and let them hear the messages. He was picked up at his brothers house and arrested.
A few days went by and my attorney informed me that his attorney had stated that he could not get in touch with him. I told them that was not my problem and we were proceeding with or without him. I was done. That evening as I was working out in the yard he pulled up on the property. I reached for the phone and called the police and set the phone down. He got out of the truck and started threatening me. I told him he needed to leave and let him know the police were on their way. He attacked me and began choking me. I fought back and punched him in the throat. My dogs began biting him and jumping on him and barking. He let go. I called the dogs off and ran into the house. I locked the doors and picked up the other phone extension and got my gun. I informed the operator what had just happened, where I was at, and let her know i had a gun and if he broke into the house I would shoot. He pounded at the door hollering and screaming. Then it became silent.
I looked out the window to see if he had left and I saw him with two of his guns standing in the front yard. I let the operator know that he had two guns in the front yard. I could hear her convey this. About 45 minutes went by and the police showed up and arrested him. Of course he tried to tell the police I had started the incident but since I had papers showing he wasn't even supposed to be there that was all she wrote and away he went.
After that incident I didn't hear from him. His lawyer never heard from him. He didn't show up to the court hearing. I made the decision that i was going to sell everything and start over. I put the house up for sell. 3 days after the divorce was final the house mysteriously caught fire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment