Recently, in one of my Masters program courses we were discussing how technology such as cell phones, email, instant messaging, and other various handheld devices have made communication much easier and more instantanious but that they hinder the human communication through body language, tone, and emotions! Meaningful connections are necessary to help develop human bonding and there are many ways to stay emotionally connected with your friends, family, neighbors and the rest of the world!
Maintaining a meaningful connections with family and friends!
Twice a year plan a vacation with friends! Revisit places you have been before or plan trips to a new location and create a new adventure for all! I often plan trips to a rural town not too far away from everyone where there's not much to do except socialize with one another and enjoy the outdoors! There are neighboring communities which offer activities but often times we all end up staying at the house having drinks, listening to music, taking pictures and just catching up with one another!
During the rest of the year in between the vacations I send letters and cards to my loved ones letting them know I am thinking about them or celebrating particular dates/events!
For those who have friends and family living near by we schedule a weekly outing. Each Friday evening we all meet at a local bar/grill and catch up on the weekly events of our lives and just spend some time with one another!
For those that live far from us we can use email on a regular basis to keep one another updated. We can share pictures of trips, children, animals, new projects or items purchased etc!
Active in the Community
Get to know your neighbors! Take a walk around the neighborhood and stop and chat with anyone you might see! I have made it a point to get to know my neighbors over the last four years that I have lived in this particular neighborhood! I have watched one neighbors children grow, saw him get married, watched another neighbor heel from an injury and even had a neighbors wife get ill and recently pass away. We have built connections and bonds through talking over the fences about the latest events in our lives, visiting one another's animals, and helping each other out with projects! These are relationships I value very much being a single woman. They make me feel like I am not so alone in the world even though I do not live close to my family and most of my friends!
Donate your read magazines and newspapers to local library, nursing homes, hospitals, or schools! Donate your old clothes to churches, charitable organizations in your community.
Have a rotating happy hour, pic nic, bbq in your neighborhood! Once a month I invite everyone I know to my home and provide a place for socializing! Everyone brings drinks and food and we just socialize and have lots of fun!
Start a new tradition in your life today that helps you stay connected to your loved ones and community! Remember you are never going to know when you need someone's help and it's always nice to know you have connections close by!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment