About 2 months ago I decided that my life had become to sedentary and that I needed to get up and get moving in order to loose that pesky 60lbs I have not been happy with!
I am one of those people who enjoy dinner with friends, cooking, and trying new foods and let's just face it...dieting is hard and we end up wanting the things we aren't supposed to be eating even more when we are dieting!
What I started doing was walking!
Before I started I took a picture of myself!
My plan: take periodic pictures throughout the process to track your progress!
If you're like me your schedule varies. I was not always able or willing to walk in the morning as soon as I started my day! I worked a full time job and let's face it: an hour lunch is not long enough to get a good work out and re dress so you can return to work and the gyms were always packed on my lunch hour! So, what I did is I started working my walks into my evening schedules!
Once I returned home at the end of each day, I would prepare dinner, do a few household chores and instead of sitting down on the couch to watch tv I changed into comfortable clothes, leashed up my dog, and off we went around the block for a short little walk!
Walk today!
Day 1 Week 1
I started out by just walking around the block. Short. But you're out there and getting started! I own two Rotties so I took one of them with me! Doing this simple brisk walk, got me up and got me started and when I was finished I knew I could do it!
Keep Walking!!
Walk around the block every day! ( I actually gave myself 2 days a week off but you decide what is right for you) This will help you to build stamina and continues to get you out there!
Don't worry about making other changes in your life, just take a short 15 minutes or so a day and walk around your block. See what's going on in your neighborhood, take the opportunity to visit with your neighbors! It makes you feel good and your energy will increase as you progress!
Week 2
Let's kick it up a step! Add another block to your journey! This should take you about half an hour and if it takes longer so what! You're out there doing it!
Keep doing this and hold yourself accountable. Mark each day on your calendar that you walk! If you miss a day don't be too upset just double your walk the next day or if you are like me and taking two days off a week for rest or other activities, just make it up on another day! Sometimes, a walking partner will help keep us honest and accountable! Find someone who wants to walk with you or make friends with a particular neighbor that you stop and visit with each time you walk! Eventually you will start looking forward to these outings!
On my outings I became friendly with three separate elderly neighbors who I discovered actually looked forward to seeing me each day too! One neighbor enjoyed seeing my dogs each evening and began sitting outside in her yard waiting for the dogs to appear! Another, neighbor I discovered his wife had Alzheimer's and he was her sole care giver. Their children all had grown and moved out of state and he looked forward to visiting for a few minutes each day! Since starting my daily walks, his wife has taken a turn for the worse and has been placed in a nursing home and I often stop and help him with his gardening for a little bit! The third neighbor has began walking on her own schedule but we often stop and visit about our progress when we pass one another's homes!
Week 3
Add some strength training! No, no, no you do not have to go to the gym or even change your routine! I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a pair of 3lb weights (if you think this might be too much for you buy the 1lb weights).
Carry these with you on your walks. Hold the weights while walking and just your normal arm motions will allow you to begin strength training without even realizing it! Once you are comfortable walking with the weights add some simple arm curls!
By the end of the week the definition in your upper body and the slimming of your lower body will start to show and this alone will help encourage you to keep walking! Your energy and confidence will be increasing and you are off to a great start!
Week 4
Take it up a step and add another block to your walk, if you are feeling really energized try two! At this point you are walking between 1 and 3 miles each day!
Your abs will be getting noticeably flatter and your hips will be slimming! (Just what every girl likes to hear!!!!)
Finally it's time for a little self reflection!
Accepting ourselves as we are and shedding away our own self destructive behaviors are key to implementing permanent changes in our lives. On your walks think about the behaviors you engaged in that helped you to gain the unwanted weight. Make a plan to continue to meet your goals and be a success!
I myself realized that my sedentary lifestyle was a great factor in my weight gain. Growing up and in early adulthood I was always very active. I never watched tv (I didn't even have cable) I was an athlete and played basketball, volleyball, and ran track and once I finished college and started out in the "real world" I worked more at a desk job and had less time for activities. Stress from job increased making me completely exhausted at the end of each day and all I wanted to do was sit and zone out!
I personally changed jobs! I bought the dvr package for my television provider and stopped watching my favorite shows on the providers schedule and now watch them when I want to! I stopped sitting on my couch so much and got out more, I went to local book stores, coffee houses, city park, etc. Anything that would keep me from just sitting at my house!
FINISH HIGH!
Week 5 & 6
Without putting too much pressure on yourself kick it up another notch! Don't over do it, make it comfortable for yourself - simply add another block or two - whatever you feel you are up to! You will be amazed as the miles pile up and your waistline and hips get smaller! You will laugh at the person you were four weeks ago who didn't even think they would be able to make it around the block comfortably!
TAKE A PICTURE! Compare it to the first one you took! NOTICE the difference!
Be proud of your accomplishment!
NOW, for the best part! REWARD yourself! Never work hard without rewarding yourself for your accomplishments! You made a commitment to yourself and your health and you deserve a reward!
My reward: I went out to dinner with friends! We drove to Granbury and went to a little sushi restaurant a friend had introduced me to and we ate, laughed, and drank and had a great evening!
Now, the most important part...........DON'T STOP HERE!!!! Keep the process up!
I have been walking for about 8 weeks now and I am glad to say that I have lost about 15lbs. My clothes fit better, I feel better, and I have more energy to do all the things in life I wanted to do but just didn't have time, or felt too tired to do before!
Let me know how this works for you! We can be work out partners!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment